my city is still breathing
back in the saddle


Sunday, September 21, 2003  

I hate watching my neighbourhood get yuppified. I could handle the rental apartments being converted into condos, even though it brought down the amount of low income rental units in the area. I could deal with that. I even tell myself that maybe they're being bought by someone who will in turn rent the unit out for less than the rent was when it was run by boardwalk or mainstreet or one of those um, wonderful, management firms. But I'm sick of walking around and seeing these beautiful old homes being torn down and replaced by these terrible big houses that look just like the suburbs. And then there's Garrisson f-ing Woods, this new "neighbourhood" near my house in which they've torn down all these military homes and rebuilt a bunch of new homes that look just like the ones that were there before except they're lacking personality. Or there's these "classic" condos. I mean what the fuck. But back to glorious bankview/south calgary. So they tear down these houses and build new ones, thereby slowly taking the character out of the neighbourhood, one house at a time. What makes it especially painful is that there are some beautiful older homes that have been simply restored and are amazing. Or other homes that have been torn down and replaced with some really cool looking homes (there's one shaped like a soccer ball). But these homes coming straight out of suburbia and into the borderline inner city are beginning to really upset me. that is all.

posted by kim | 3:00 a.m.|
Comments: Post a Comment
click on these
archives