my city is still breathing
back in the saddle


Sunday, October 26, 2003  

so, as mentioned before, I work in a restaurant/lounge where I serve tables/bartend/basically do whatever needs to be done. I've had to put up with a fair amount of shit in my time, especially coming from drunk, middle aged men. So there's this one, let's call him Bill. He comes in quite often, normally after closing down the local Smittys. He's about 38, lives with his parents, has a job, is basically loud, obnoxious, belligerent but generally harmless. One day, I wish I knew when, he decided to take a liking to me. It was tolerable for a while, almost cute, were he not so old and drunk and loserish. He'd ask me to dinner, I'd politely, yet firmly decline. He'd ask again, I'd remind him of the age gap and how we have nothing in common except he drinks beer and I serve beer, and politely decline. He'd ask again, I'd remind him of the above, and that I'm seeing someone and in a happy relationship (whether or not this is true is a different story). So a few weeks ago, he comes in, absolutely loaded and asks "so when are we going to make out". I remind him of the above and leave the room. I come back, he asks again. I cut him off, he leaves. I don't see him for a few weeks (lucky me) until he comes in tonight, loaded, and starts spouting about how "one day we'll be together, whether I like it or not, we'll be together, blah blah blah." So I tell him he's making me feel uncomfortable and if he continues I'll have to ask him to leave and not to return when I'm working (and yes I did this in a calm and polite fashion which may shock some of you!!). He gets all angry, leaves (along with a very large tip that I tried to give back to him as I do not feel comfortable even taking his money above and beyond his tab), and apparently was walking through the parking lot ranting and raving and scaring these three 15 year olds who had to come into the restaurant because they were frightened. So umm ya. Why do these people find me? And feel it is appropriate to say these things to me? Or anyone for that matter? Just a little rant.

posted by kim | 1:54 a.m.|
Comments: Post a Comment
click on these
archives