my city is still breathing
back in the saddle


Friday, November 28, 2003  

I watched Moulin Rouge a few years ago, after it first came out on video. I remember really not liking it. I'm currently writing a paper on it, comparing it to GW Pabst's film version of Brecht's Threepenny Opera. I've basically been watching Moulin Rouge for the past 2 days, over and over, fascinated. Once I started looking at it as an example of Brechtian epic theatre, but postmodern rather than Marxist, it got really really good. Honest. This is the first time I've liked a movie more from thinking about it rather than less (normally I start thinking critically about something I really like and begin to really really hate it.. ). Anyhow, I'm currently in the process of writing a kick-ass paper I'm really excited about. On a topic I picked on a whim (I chose the 2 films to compare because both were "musicals" and "period pieces"... I didn't expect this epic theatre connection).. this paper is going so much better than the last one, I actually want to write it. I'm such a geek.

posted by kim | 2:08 a.m.|
Comments:
...good to know I'm not the only one who sees Moulin Rouge as an example of Brecht's epic theatre...I'm also writing an essay and googled to see if I was completely grabbing at straws or if other people thought there was a connection...your blog came up...but I'm writing mine about Dogville and Moulin Rouge as examples of Brechtian practice in film...speaking of which I should get back to it!
 
Post a Comment
click on these
archives