my city is still breathing
back in the saddle


Monday, February 09, 2004  

hey all
sorry about the lack of posting, the only internet access I get is at my work and I don't feel right using it for more than 2 min to check my email as it is intended for guests and all..
anyhow, I'm still employed. which is a good thing. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with my job, I mean I really like most of the people I work with, they're really nice and patient and all. I overall find my job entertaining and enjoy it most of the time when I'm there. It's everything I wanted in a job here, I get to practice german and hear it all the time and I'm earning some money. At the same time, I have moments where I am reminded that I really don't want to be in the service industry anymore, or at least not in another new restaurant. Eh, what can you do.
It's kinda neat, where I work. It's this hotel/spa, and all the guests get breakfast and dinner. Breakfast runs from about 7:30 (before I get there) until noon, and it's a buffet. basically all the servers do is bring coffee and bus tables. Each room has a set table that they use for each meal, so there's no seating issues. Every night of the week is a theme night: monday is candlelight dinner, tuesday Mediterranean, wednesday vorarlberg (the province) etc. So there's a set menu, part of which is buffet and part of which the guest has a choice of 2 or 3 dishes, which they choose in the morning at breakfast, and which we serve them at night. So the only thing left for the servers to do is bring beverages, serve food that's not on the buffet and bus tables. Pretty low maintenance. My problem is having always worked in the family restaurant type places, I don't know the rules. Like how to set the table properly, etc. What can you do.
I'm on my first days off in a while right now, I've come to Innsbruck, simply because it was vaguely familiar and I could get some shopping done here, things I can't do in my town. Plus it gave me an out, a change of scenery.

posted by kim | 2:07 a.m.|
Comments: Post a Comment
click on these
archives