my city is still breathing
back in the saddle


Friday, May 07, 2004  

hey kidz
have found myself in Amstetten, niederössterreich, which is the hometown of one of my friends from work.. we had the same days off and she was going home so I decided to tag along, seeing as I'd never been here before or anything.. it's a nice little town, it's nice to see the sky unobstructed by big huge mountains for a change...
we go back to Brand tomorrow, I've got the whopping 5 hours left of work on Sunday, and then I join the world of (temporary) unemployment.. yay!!
I don't know if any of you paid attention to the Austrian presidential election - if not, don't worry, it wasn't all that interesting.. especially as the president is basically a figurehead.. anyhow, the reason I mention it is because there was a small part I found interesting - there were two main candidates, a male (social democrat Heinz Fischer ) and a female (Benita Ferrero_Waldner).. the campaign posters were interesting, especially the woman's, which basically showed a picture of her and said 'elect Austria's first female president' as if that's the only reason one should vote for her.. she got an endorsement from Jörg Haider and that was the nail in the coffin, she lost, although it was close. Also interesting was that after the election the victor's campaign team (at least out in Vorarlberg, where I live) went out and put 'danke' (thank-you) stickers on all his posters. I thought that was a nice touch..

posted by kim | 10:01 a.m.|
Comments: Post a Comment
click on these
archives