my city is still breathing
back in the saddle


Thursday, May 20, 2004  

so umm the other day I sat down and typed out this amazing long post that was chalk full with links to everything and was just wonderful and I went to hit "publish post" and the computer froze. and I lost my post. damn was I pissed off. very very pissed off. so I'm going to try it again, but this one will be even LONGER as there's been 2 more days.. so bear with me...

after a wonderful week staying with Fari and Marion and being spoiled rotten and doing nothing at all except hang out doing next to nothing all day, I took the train to Frankfurt airport to meet my lovely family. this was Sunday, the 16th. Due to their flight being 40 min late and a €60 cab ride on their part (due to them neglecting to remember which of the 5 holiday inns in frankfurt they were staying in) we missed eachother at the airport and finally met up at the hotel. went out for italian, went to sleep. they were kinda jet lagged. I was just tired, I hadn't slept much the night before...

Monday we woke up bright and early. I think my family was up at 4 am. after a lovely breakfast we hopped on a train and went to Bingen (those of you who took germ 359.who the hell knows a few years back may recognise this as the home of Hildegaard von..), where we met Jan, our former German exchange student. From here we hopped on a lovely KD boat and settled in for a nice cruise down the Rhine, presented in at least 5 languages (none of which I could hear all that well, though).. with a beer in my hand I sat on the deck and soaked in the sun, admiring medival castles (and of course the Lorelei - "Ich weiss nicht, was soll es bedeuten.." damn would Mastag be proud!). It was like 25 degrees out. lovely. finally got that tan started. we stopped in St. Goar for a lunch of falafel and döner.. then continued on to Koblenz. had a few beer there, walked arond town, continued on to Cochem on the Mosel, where we found a lovely little B&B for the night..

Tuesday we woke up nice and early and went and rented bikes. hopped on the train and went out to Neef, where we started off. apparently michael and my dad got yelled at by the train driver but have no idea why. sorry I missed it, it would have been funny. my brother is still afraid of being left alone, cuz he might get yelled at. Rode 27 km back to Cochems (although the rest of the family claims it was longer), stopping along the way to go to the wine museum, drink wine, drink beer, eat, drink beer, eat ice cream, admire the steepest vinyards in the world. my parents learned alot, next time you see my mother ask her how to pronounce Riesling. It wasn't near as bad as I expected, and I actually enjoyed myself. plus I got to work on my tan. and drink beer.

Wednesday we went on up to Berg Eltz. went on a tour. it was mildly entertaining, the castle was gorgeous and the hike up was also really nice. beginning to think I am turning into sporty spice. afterwards we got on another train and came out to Cologne. I like this city, but then being in the city always makes me a happy girl. went shopping with my mother and managed to get myself a sweet ass pair of black, silver and pink pumas. dude these are hot shoes. even got matching socks. damn am I a hottie. I needed new shoes, my old ones had holes in the soles. honest. even my mother thought I needed new shoes. I was stoked. now all I need is my Freitag bag and I´ll be a happy girl. went for dinner (mm Thai) and beer, then Jan took Michael and I to a party. had a few more beer, went home.

this brings us to today. today I hung out with my mom, we went to the chocolate museum (mmm chocolate), then to the Käthe Kollwitz museum (my mother had never heard of Kollwitz but found her work dealing with the war and loss especially interesting). we popped in the Dom for a few min, but as it is some sort of Catholic holiday we got there just in time for mass and therefore felt a burning need to step out. if you know what I mean. am (hopefully) going (all by myself) to see Max Frisch's Andorra tonight at the schauspielhaus. am very stoked. want to see if it compares to us doing it in Swiss Lit.
Off to Basel tomorrow.

heard the flames have made the finals. yay. thanks for reading this ultra long post!

posted by kim | 8:08 a.m.|
Comments: Post a Comment
click on these
archives