my city is still breathing
back in the saddle


Thursday, August 25, 2005  

I recently moved from just north of downtown (up centre street) to just southwest of the core. I live much closer to work (and many other places I frequent), but really miss the walk in from my old place. Every morning I'd get to walk down Centre St., down the hill (but through the green areas of Crescent Heights - not on the street) and look over my city and the river valley first thing in the morning - when the sun had just come up and the city was waking - rush hour was just beginning and the air had that nice, fresh morning feel.

Or, when on nights, I'd walk down just after all the suburbanites had evacuated downtown for their backyards and barbeques, and it would be quiet - not the 3 am quiet of my nightly Timmy's run, just the pre-nightlife still when you know anyone who actually lives downtown has already gone home from work to change or make dinner or whatever. And still, that chance to look over the city I've chosen to call home.

My new walk is about half the distance, and leads me by some great stores or some beautiful tree-lined streets, depending on my route. I pass some of the most amusing street people, men using great lines like "I need $5 to see a man about a horse" or "wanna share your umbrella? I don't mean give me it, I mean share". They often make me smile. But I miss the walk through Crescent Heights and the view. And looking out over my city at the start of my day.

But my city is still breathing....

posted by kim | 11:47 p.m.|
Comments:
Hey, you're back! I live in the SW of the core. On my walks, I see many dumpsters, squirrels, people shooting/smoking drugs in the park, joggers, hipsters, and homeless ladies and gents - the squirrels are the best part. Happy to see you're well.
 
Walk carefully, enjoy the people, animals, and sites. Remember, it is your city, but you share it with many others.

We too are still breathing, and we are all happy for that.
 
Post a Comment
click on these
archives